Alphonso mango is a seasonal fruit grown in India, considered to be among the most superior varieties of the fruit in terms of sweetness, richness and flavour. Here we use it as topping for the delicious bar cookies, if it is difficult get a hold of fresh Alphonso in where you live, you can always opt for the canned version, just make a visit to your nearby Indian food store (such as Mustapha) and you will be spoilt with choices of Alphonso products on the shelves.
200 gram Alphonso mango puree
170 gram French butter
1 tsp vanilla bean
180 gram plain flour
40 gram cake flour
60 gram oat
80 gram brown sugar
30 gram plain flour
40 gram French butter, cold
TO MAKE PASTRY BASE AND TOPPING
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a small 13” x 9” baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, cream together butter and 60 gram of sugar till light and fluffy, then add in vanilla bean, before folding in plain flour and cake flour to form dough.
3. Pat dough firmly into the bottom of the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked. Keep the oven running.
4. In another bowl, mix together oat, brown sugar and plain flour. Rub in cold butter until mixture resembles corn meal.
5. Evenly spread mango puree on top of the baked pastry, then top with oat mixture and bake in preheated oven for another 15 minutes or until the topping turns golden brown. Allow to cool, slice and serve.