This insanely delicious banana coffee cake is made of four simple layers: coffee yoghurt sponge, caramel bananas, whipped cream, and caramelized almonds. It’s the easiest, quickest, most superb dessert cake you’ll ever assemble!
Caramel Banana Coffee Cake
170 grams egg whites
2 grams cream of tartar
110 grams fine granulated sugar
100 grams egg yolks
40 grams melted butter
3 grams coffee powder
40 grams yoghurt
20 grams milk
40 grams milk powder
0.5 grams salt
1 whole egg
80 grams plain flour
1. Separate eggs, place egg whites on a bowl with cream of tartar.
2. In a bowl, place egg yolks, melted butter, yogurt, coffee powder, milk, milk powder, salt, whole eggs and plain flour. Mix well.
3. Make meringue – whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, gradually add in granulated sugar and continue to whisk until medium peak.
4. Using a spatula, slowly mix the two mixtures together until combined.
5. Divide batter to 3 portions of equal weight, preheat oven to 180ºC. Pour the batter on a 14 x 14 inch tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven for 20 minutes until cooked. Once cooked, divide the sponge to two equal size portions.
Caramelized Banana Fillings
170 grams caster sugar
30 grams butter
2 grams salt
80 grams cream
200 g banana, thinly sliced
Place sugar on a saucepan and cook until caramelized, add in butter and cream, turn off heat and stir to combine. Combine the caramelized sauce, salt, banana and spread evenly on a baking pan, bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, keep aside.
150 grams cream
30 grams caster sugar
3 sheets of coffee sponges
1 portion of caramelized banana fillings
handful of store-bought caramelized almonds
Whip cream with caster sugar until peak. Fill into a piping bag fitted with star-nozzle. Spread caramelized banana fillings on top of two toffee sponges, pipe whipped cream over. Cover one sponge on top of another and top with the third sheet of sponge. Dress the top layer with whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds.