The cake lapis, a musthave in the goodies spread during Aidilfitri celebrations, now comes in a variety of additions. Here we introduce the cempedak cake lapis where ripe cempedak flesh is blended into puree and mixed into the dough; a thin layer of which will then be arranged on top of every layer of cake during the baking process.
340 gram butter
15 gram condensed milk
400 gram whole eggs
151 gram icing sugar
100 gram superfine flour
80 gram cempedak puree
80 gram cempedak flesh
1. Line the bottom of a creased, 7-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Beat butter with condensed milk in a KENWOOD Chef Sense and cempedak puree until smooth. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and icing sugar until pale and thick.
4. Fold butter cempedak mixture into egg yolk mixture.
5. Fold in sifted flour in two batches until combined.
6. Switch the oven to the grill function. Set cake pan in oven for a minute.
7. Ladle about 80 gram batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 5 minutes, until top is brown. Scatter few slices of cempedak flesh over and pour another ladle of batter over. Bake each layer for about 7 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
8. Once the final layer of the cake is baked, return the oven to the bake function. Cover the top of the cake with aluminium foil and bake for another 5 minutes.
9. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.