This recipe calls for egg whites left over after making the original cake lapis or cake Surabaya. As it is a wonderful way to use up extra egg whites. You can use thick coconut cream such as KARA instead of just milk for a smoother mouthfeel.
Egg White Layer Cake
12 egg whites
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
200 grams caster sugar
200 grams thick coconut cream (KARA)
2 tsp salt
175 grams low protein flour
1 tsp baking powder
60 grams corn oil
COLOURING AND FLAVOURING
1 drop green colour gel
1 drop pandan essence
1 drop brown colour
1. Whisk Egg whites until frothy, gradually add in castor sugar and cream of tartar and continue whisking until soft peak.
2. Mix together salt, low protein flour and baking powder together. In a new bowl, attach with KENWOOD K-Paddle, and mix flour with coconut cream until smooth.
3. Gradually add in meringue by folding gently, divide the mixture into three portions and mix in with pandan essence and green colouring for the green one, brown colours for the brown one.
4. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, pour the first layer of batter into a pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 5 – 8 minutes until cooked.
5. Alternate the layer with different colours until you reach the last layer, increase the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for another 15 minutes.