A true advocate to delicious home cooked food. Don’t be surprised that some local dishes may take days of preparation because everything step and ingredient is handpicked, scrutinised and perfected before its final plating.
This recipe uses the Multipro Home – FDP623WH.
1 large turnips, peeled and cut into chunky pieces
1 large carrots, peeled
¼ Beijing cabbage, halved
2 leeks, cleaned
1 bamboo shoots, green portion only
125g french bean
¼ yellow onions, minced
10 garlic cloves, minced
3cm young ginger, minced
3 shallots, minced
1 tbsp dried shrimps
Chinese cooking wine
Light Soy Sauce
750 ml Pork stock:
150g pork belly
70g spare ribs
375 ml Prawn stock:
1 egg omelette, cut into thin strips
1 head of local lettuce, leaves picked and cleaned
50g bean sprouts, blanched in boiling water
80g small prawns, poached in brined water and halved
Sweet Dark Sauce
Sweet roasted ground peanuts
Garlic Chilli sauce
Day 1：Start of preparation
1. Prepare the turnip, carrots and beancurd.
2. Shred the turnip and carrot, place them in the large stock pot and cover it. Store it in the fridge overnight to allow the water from the vegetables to evaporate.
3. Place the beancurds between tea towel, set them in the fridge to dry out overnight too.
Day 2 ： Prepare the filling
Prepare pork stock
1. Boil 1.5l of water in a pot. Use a ladle and scoop the hot water, blanch and drained the pork about 3 times to remove any impurities.
2. Add 1 tsp of salt and pork into the pot and poached for 20 mins.
Prepare the ingredients using food processor
1. Shred bamboo shoots and leek. Scrape clean, set aside.
2. Shred Beijing cabbage. Scrape clean and set aside.
3. Shred French beans.
Cook the vegetables
1. CARROT & TURNIP = Remove the carrot and turnip from the refrigerator. In a heated pan with 1 tbsp oil, add in 1 tsp garlic. Stir-fry carrot and turnip with ¼ tsp of salt. Set aside in stock pot.
2. BAMBOO SHOOTS & LEEK = In the same wok, add in 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp garlic, minced onions, shallots and ginger and stir-fry until the fragrances releases. Add in leek, bamboo shoots and ¼ tsp of salt. Mix well and set aside in the stock pot.
3. CABBAGE = In the same wok, add in 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp garlic, dried shrimps. Stir-fry till the fragrances releases. Add in cabbage, ½ tbsp sesame oil and ½ tbsp Shaoxing wine. Mix well and set aside in the stock pot.
4. FRENCH BEAN = In the same wok, heat 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp garlic, stir-fry until the fragrances releases. Add in french bean and ¼ tsp salt. Mix well and set aside in the stock pot.
Wash, slice and fry the pork belly
1. 20 mins later, remove pork belly from stock. Wash it under running water. Sliced thinly into 5cm x 0.5cm strips.
In the same wok, add in 1 tsp of oil and garlic. Stir-fry the pork till it’s fragrant. Set aside in the stock pot.
Simmer the ingredients in stock pot
1. Add in 750ml into the stock pot and simmer it for 1 hr. Stir occasionally to prevent the ingredients from getting burn.
Pan-fry the Beancurd
1. Coat the Beancurd with cornflour.
2. In a heated pan with oil, pan fry all sides of the Beancurd till it’s slightly golden brown. Place it on a kitchen towel and drain the oil. Heat up the pan again, fry the Beancurd for the 2nd time to increase its crispiness. Remove from pan, let cool on the kitchen towel.
3. Slice it thinly, set aside.
Add the Beancurd into the stock pot and simmer again
1. One hour later, add the sliced beancurd into the stock pot, mix well. Let it simmer for another 30 mins.
Remove from heat, let cool and store it in the refrigerator
Day 3: Final preparation and ready to serve
Cook the prawn stock
1. In a frying pan with hot oil, pan fry 125g prawns on high heat for 7 mins.
2. In a pot with 450ml of simmering water, add in prawn. Let it simmer for 45 mins.
Last simmering of the filling
1. Pour 40ml of prawn stock into the popiah filling, simmer for 1 hr. Stir occasionally to prevent it from getting burnt.
Assemble the popiah
1. 2 layers of popiah skin, lettuce leaves, popiah ingredients, prawn, omelette, groundnuts, bean sprouts, coriander, chilli, garlic and sweet sauce.
2. Wrap & Enjoy!