These Vietnamese chicken skewers are minced chicken seasoned with Vietnamese herbs and then shaped around stalks of lemongrass, they are then lightly grilled and baked in oven till cooked, which retain the moisture and aroma that flavours the meat beautifully.
Makes six lemongrass satay | By Chef Syafiq Sharom
300 gram boneless chicken thighs
300 gram boneless chicken breasts
50 gram chicken fat
20 gram diced lemongrass
20 gram minced garlic
30 gram shallots, diced
4 cm ginger
5 pcs red spurr chilies
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
200 ml palm oil
3 stalks lemongrass, cleaned and halved
4 ice cubes
1. Cut all parts of chicken to cubes and combine in a bowl.
2. Place all ingredients except for chicken meat in a Kenwood Food Processor, blend into a fine but granulated paste.
3. Heat up 100 ml oil in heavy bottom saucepan and saute the blended ingredients over medium heat until fragrant and the oil starts to split from the solids. Off heat and keep cool.
4. In the same food processor, put in chicken meat, 3 tsp of salt, ice cubes and 3 tablespoons of the paste, blend until combined.
5. Take around 110 gram of chicken meat and wrap around the bottom of a lemongrass, (do not over compress) repeat this step until all the ingredients are used up.
6. Heat up 100 ml oil in a frying pan over medium heat and place the lemongrass satay on the heated surface, grill for 5 minutes before flipping to the other sides. Once cooked, keep warm until ready to serve.
WING BEANS & TOASTED COCONUT SALAD (KERABU URAP)
50 ml cooking oil
150 gram young wing beans, thinly sliced
100 gram ready to use kerisik
15 gram dried chili paste
50 gram long beans, diced
80 gram onion, sliced
30 gram fresh chilies (red & green)
8 gram gula Melaka
Heat up oil in a pan and sauté chili paste until fragrant, add in onion and cook until brown, add in kerisik and cook to combine. Next add in all vegetable and palm sugar. Season with salt. (Do not overcook the vegetable because they need to stay fresh and crunchy.)
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE (BUMBU PECAL)
250 gram peanuts, roasted and de-skinned
60 gram peanut oil
3 cloves garlic
10 gram shallots
5 gram cekur (Kaempferia Galanga)
15 gram gula Melaka
5 pcs red chili padi
5 pcs large red chilies
2 gram salt
50 gram peanut oil
1. Sauté garlic, shallots, cekur, red chili padi and red chilies in a pan with peanut oil until lightly browned.
2. Place all ingredients together with roasted peanuts in a Kenwood blender and blend until extremely fine. Keep in chiller until ready to use.
6 pieces of lemongrass chicken satay
3 portions of wing beans & toasted coconut salad
3 tbsp of spicy peanut sauce
60 gram hot boiling water
1 tsp of ABC kecap manis
few slices of cucumer and green leaves
1. On a round plate, draw a large circle of thin line with ABC kecap manis.
2. Compress a small cup with salad, and turn the cup over on the plate, remove the cup.
3. Arrange two lemongrass chicken satay on the centre of the plate.
4. Mix hot boiling water with spicy peanut sauce and drizzle next to the skewers.
5. Garnish accordingly and serve warm.