Lemuni is a perennial herb used by the Malay community of Penang and Kedah to provide a blackish hue to the common take-away nasi lemak sold by roadside hawkers. In this recipe of crystal skin dumplings, the skins are tinted grey with lemuni leaves as the herb makes its debut in the use of international cuisine. Because the leaves are only available in the Penang vicinity; for those who cannot get a hold of the herbs, it can be replaced with any types of herbs or be omitted entirely from the recipe.
Makes 18 – 19 dumplings.
TO MAKE SALTED FISH & BAMBOO SHOOT FILLINGS – TO YIELD ABOUT 350 GRAM
70 grams cooking oil
10 grams garlic, diced
50 grams shallots, diced
50 grams good quality salted fish, soaked and cut into cubes
70 grams cai poh, pickled radish, rinsed
130 grams fresh bamboo shoot, boiled in hot water for 10 minutes and diced
130 grams jicama, diced
3 grams salt
4 grams good quality white pepper
3 grams Ajinomoto
1. Preheat a KENWOOD Cooking Chef to 140 degree Celsius. Fix with machine with a flexible beater.
2. Add in cooking oil and sauté garlic and shallots for 10 minutes or until browned.
3. Add in salted fish, pickled radish, bamboo shoot and jicama and cook for another 15 minutes until fragrant slowly exudes.
4. Season with salt, pepper and seasoning. Keep aside until ready to use.
TO MAKE THE DUMPLING SKIN
70 grams wheat starch
70 grams tapioca starch
15 grams potato starch
1 grams salt
20 grams sugar
25 ml lemuni extract, 5 gram dried lemuni leaves blended with 20 ml hot water
260 ml water
1 tbsp cooking oil
1. Mix together wheat starch, tapioca starch, potato starch, salt and sugar in a bowl, mix to combine.
2. Heat up lemuni extract and water till boiling and pour the hot water into the flour mixture.
3. Mix vigorously and add in oil to combine. Let cool for 30 minutes. Roll the dough into a log and divide the dough into 10 smaller doughs each weighing 24 gram. Flatten the dough and wrap with salted fish and bamboo shoot fillings, mould the dumplings to your desired shape. Steam for 15 minutes or until cooked.