Brown rice is a grain, lentils is a legume, we combine the two for this really delicious and wholesome vadai packed with vegetarian protein.
Makes approximately 15 portions.
500 gram dhal
160 gram cooked brown rice
1 tbsp rice flour
4 green chillies
100 gram shallots, chopped
60 gram ginger, chopped
30 gram coriander
2 sprigs curry leaves
20 gram trans fat free shortening
8 gram bicarbonate of soda
salt to taste
Carotino oil, for deep-frying
1. Soak dhal and rice in water for 2 hours.
2. Blend with rice flour, chillies, shallots, ginger, coriander, curry leaves and just a little bit of water to form a mixture which is neither too soft nor too runny.
3. Add remaining ingredients and combine well.
4. Season to taste with salt.
5. Coat the palms of your hands with a little oil and form 120 gram balls. Form a hole in the centre of each.
6. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Gently lower patty into oil, and reduce heat to medium.
7. Deep fry the patties, flipping them over gently in between cooking, until they are golden brown and crispy. Drain on greaseproof paper to allow excess oil to run before serving.