A flavourful chicken curry dish that you can make with just a handful of ingredients. Simple, healthy and hearty, with a delightful twist on traditional Indian cuisine.
This recipe uses the Blend-X Fresh – BLP402WH.
1 kg whole chicken breast, diced to bite-sizes
Juice of 1 small green lime
Salt for seasoning
For the Marinade
2 inch ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 cup fresh grated coconut
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp coriander seeds
3 inch cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom pods, peeled
1 tbsp black pepper
Small bunch of coriander leaves including stalk
For the Curry
4 tbsp Ghee
2 large onions
1 large tomato, diced
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
Coriander leaves for garnish
Salt to taste
1. Rinse and drain off excess liquid from diced chicken. Marinate with lime juice and salt; set aside.
2. Warm a large pan over medium heat. Dry roast fennel, cumin, black pepper, cloves, coriander seeds, cardamom and cinnamon for about 5 minutes. Empty into a plate and set aside.
3. Dry roast the freshly grated coconut until crispy and light brown.
4. Blend the spices and roasted coconut along with fresh ginger, garlic and coriander. Add a little water to make a fine thick paste.
5. In a large pot, heat ghee over low heat. Sauté the sliced onions until lightly brown, then add in tomato, chilli powder and turmeric powder, and continue to cook until oil starts to split. The tomato has to be throughly cooked before you proceed with the next step. Add the marinated chicken, raise the heat and sauté for about 7 – 8 minutes.
6. Add about 1 cup warm water and cook on medium heat, uncovered for another 10 minutess, or until curry thickens.
7. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, stir enough to combine, then adjust seasoning. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve warm with cumin ghee rice.