This simple sponge cake is not only flavoured with passionfruit, it is then topped with cubes of ripe mango for a double dose of tangy sweetness. The whipped cream balances out the overall sourness. This cake is best served the day it is assembled.
70 gram oil
90 gram cake flour
40 gram passion fruit juice
6 medium sized eggs, separated
20 gram milk
80 gram castor sugar
1 gram salt
TOPPING AND FILLING
100 gram whipped cream, whipped until stiff
11 gram roasted hazelnuts, chopped
handful of mint leaves
1. Pre-heat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a round 6-inch removable base cake pan with parchment paper.
2. In a clean bowl, mix together oil, cake flour, passion fruit juice, egg yolks, milk and salt until combined.
3. Whip egg whites and sugar until medium peak to form meringue, mix 1/3 of egg yolks mixture until well combined and gently fold in the rest of the meringue to combine.
4. Bake in oven for 30 – 40 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. Cut mangoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Refrigerate before using.
6. Allow cake to cool before splitting into valves. Spread whipped cream on base and decorate with mangoes and hazelnuts. Top with next layer and spread with non-dairy cream, mangoes, and hazelnuts. Garnish with mint leaves.