Payasam is a creamy and delicious rice pudding that’s easy to make. Using a small number of ingredients, payasam is perfect if you’re looking to try out a new dessert recipe.
½ cup of vermicelli
1 ½ cups of milk
½ cup of sugar
¼ teaspoon of cardamom seeds (crushed)
6 cashew nuts
A pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of ghee
- Heat up a pan and add a teaspoon of ghee over medium-low flame.
- Add vermicelli and roast, stirring continuously until light golden brown and then set aside.
- Reduce the flame to low then add another teaspoon of ghee with the roast cashew nuts and raisins.
- Once the raisins become plump and the cashew nuts turn golden brown, remove and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and pour in the milk.
- Bring to boil, stirring continuously while on medium flame.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and cook until the vermicelli softens.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add cardamom and salt, stir to combine.
- Let it cook for an additional minute before adding in the cashew nuts and raisins.
- Stir well and switch the flame off.
- Your payasam is ready, serve warm or chilled.
Payasam thickens as it cools. If you like it thinner, add more milk at the time of serving. Alternatively, if you want a richer payasam, substitute condensed milk or evaporated milk for sugar. You can also always throw in more raisins or cashew nuts if you want.