This nut and seed loaf is not your typical loaf of bakery bread. It is moist, chewy and has the occasional crunch of hazelnuts. Packed with seeds like flax, chia and sunflower, it is incredibly rich in Omega fatty-acids, anti-oxidants and minerals like magnesium and selenium. The oats, psyllium, chia and flax seeds hold this beautifully-speckled loaf together in the absence of flour and provides your body with both soluble and insoluble fibre. This loaf is vegan and gluten free. Try it toasted and topped with your favourite sweet or savoury spread.
350 ml filtered water
135 gram sunflower seeds
145 gram rolled oats
90 gram flax seeds
65 gram skinned hazelnuts or almonds
2 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp psyllium husk
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the seeds, nuts, oats and psyllium husk.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir until the salt and honey have dissolved together.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid has been almost completely absorbed.
4. Pour into a loaf pan and set aside for 12 – 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven at 180°C.
6. Place the loaf on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Unmould carefully and return to oven to bake for a further 40 – 50 minutes.
8. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
9. Enjoy with your favourite sweet or savoury toppings.