This larger than usual fluffy steam bun holds together a generous combination of fillings that consist of chicken, dried shiitake mushrooms, jicama and a half of poached egg, all seasoned with our specialty gravy.
Steam Chicken Meat Bun
TO MAKE CHICKEN MEAT FILLINGS
chicken thigh meat
soaked shiitake mushrooms
salt, together with chicken powder, Ajinomoto and white pepper
2 hard boiled eggs, halved
1. In a clean bowl, mix together chicken meat, salt, white pepper, chicken powder, Ajinomoto and potato starch.
2. Then add in sesame oil, rice wine, and oyster sauce.
3. Mix in mushrooms and jicama.
4. Before cooking, transfer the fillings into a refrigerator and marinate for at least four hours.
5. Heat up oil in a saucepan over medium heat, sauté ginger, shallot and garlic till fragrant.
6. Then add in marinated ingredients and 200 ml water and cook over medium heat until water is reduced to thick sauce.
7. Dish out into a bowl to cool, then divide the fillings to three portions each weighing 90 – 100 gram. Shape the fillings to balls and refrigerate for at least two hours to set.
TO MAKE BAO SKIN
Hong Kong flour
low protein flour
19 gram cornstarch
19 gram potato starch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
fine granulated sugar
instant dry yeast
palm based trans-fat free shortening
1. Get ready a KENWOOD kFlex attached with the dough tool.
2. Mix together Hong Kong flour, low protein flour, cornstarch, potato starch, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Add in the flour mix, sugar and dry yeast. Start mixing to combine, add in water and increase the speed until the mixture becomes paste-like texture.
4. Add in shortening and keep mixing until dough is formed.
5. Form the dough to a ball and place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with cling film for 40 minutes to rise.
6. Once the dough has doubled it’s size, punch down to release air, roll the dough into a log and divide into three – four portions each weighing around 200 – 250 gram.
7. Roll the dough into balls then flatten with a rolling pin, put half an egg and chicken mushroom fillings on the middle, carefully wrap the dough by pulling the sides to the middle, overlapping one another. Gently press seams gently to seal. Place the dough on a square parchment paper and let proof for 20 – 30 minutes. Heat up a steamer, and steam the bun for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked. Served warm.