This larger than usual fluffy steam bun holds together a generous combination of fillings that consist of chicken, dried shiitake mushrooms, jicama and a half of poached egg, all seasoned with our specialty gravy.
Steam Chicken Meat Bun
TO MAKE CHICKEN MEAT FILLINGS
250 gram chicken thigh meat
50 gram soaked shiitake mushrooms
50 gram jicama
60 gram palm oil
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp shallot paste
1 tsp garlic paste
2 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp salt, together with 1 tsp chicken powder, 1 tsp Ajinomoto and 1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp potato starch
2 hard boiled eggs, halved
1. In a clean bowl, mix together chicken meat, salt, white pepper, chicken powder, Ajinomoto and potato starch.
2. Then add in sesame oil, rice wine, and oyster sauce.
3. Mix in mushrooms and jicama.
4. Before cooking, transfer the fillings into a refrigerator and marinate for at least four hours.
5. Heat up oil in a saucepan over medium heat, sauté ginger, shallot and garlic till fragrant.
6. Then add in marinated ingredients and 200 ml water and cook over medium heat until water is reduced to thick sauce.
7. Dish out into a bowl to cool, then divide the fillings to three portions each weighing 90 – 100 gram. Shape the fillings to balls and refrigerate for at least two hours to set.
TO MAKE BAO SKIN
500 gram Hong Kong flour
100 gram low protein flour
25 gram 19 gram cornstarch
25 gram 19 gram potato starch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp fine granulated sugar
10 gram instant dry yeast
300 gram – 330 gram distilled water
30 gram palm based trans-fat free shortening
1. Get ready a KENWOOD kFlex attached with the dough tool.
2. Mix together Hong Kong flour, low protein flour, cornstarch, potato starch, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Add in the flour mix, sugar and dry yeast. Start mixing to combine, add in water and increase the speed until the mixture becomes paste-like texture.
4. Add in shortening and keep mixing until dough is formed.
5. Form the dough to a ball and place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with cling film for 40 minutes to rise.
6. Once the dough has doubled it’s size, punch down to release air, roll the dough into a log and divide into three – four portions each weighing around 200 – 250 gram.
7. Roll the dough into balls then flatten with a rolling pin, put half an egg and chicken mushroom fillings on the middle, carefully wrap the dough by pulling the sides to the middle, overlapping one another. Gently press seams gently to seal. Place the dough on a square parchment paper and let proof for 20 – 30 minutes. Heat up a steamer, and steam the bun for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked. Served warm.