In Taiwan, pineapple cake is called “鳳梨酥 (fèng lí sū)” and they are commonly shaped into rectangle which is greatly different from it’s South East Asian counterparts. The fillings too, is softer and lighter in color as winter melon is cooked slowly with pineapple.
Taiwanese Pineapple Tarts
TO MAKE FILLINGS
300 gram winter melon
400 gram pineapple
80 gram sugar
1. Shred melon and pineapple into thin juliennes.
2. Cook the shredded julienne over low heat until slightly dry for about 30 minutes.
3. Add in sugar and continue cooking until golden brown.
4. Keep aside until to cool. Roll the paste into balls weighing 20 gram each.
TO MAKE PASTRY
190 gram butter
30 gram caster sugar
50 gram condensed milk
1 egg yolk
275 gram plain flour
10 gram milk powder
1. Get ready a Kenwood Kflex with beat attachment.
2. Cream butter and sugar until fine, then add in condensed milk and egg yolk until well combined.
3. Add in plain flour and milk powder.
1. Divide pineapple paste and pastry to 20 gram and 30 gram respectively.
2. Wrap the pineapple paste into pastry and mold into balls.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
4. Lightly pressed into a rectangle mould and bake in a preheated oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until cooked.
5. Keep in air tight container.