This Chap Goh Mei, treat your loved ones with this specially crafted dessert cake made to showcase the sweetness of white clover honey and Chinese red dates. The cake also features a cashews and almonds florentine with the purpose to provide that contrasting crunch to the otherwise soft and creamy cake.
White Clover Honey and Red Dates Cake (三葉草白蜂蜜紅棗蛋糕)
TO MAKE HONEY JOCONDE SPONGE
160 gram egg whites
100 gram caster sugar
75 gram egg yolks
45 gram all purpose flour
75 gram rice bran oil
50 gram white clover honey
45 gram ground cashew nuts
26 cm x 36 cm baking tray, lined with parchment paper
1. In a bowl, mix together honey and egg yolks (white clover honey is known to be chewy and fudgy, so you need to mix a bit longer for it to dissolve), add in ground cashew-nuts, oil and flour. Mix well.
2. To make meringue, pour the egg whites into a KENWOOD mixer, start to mix with lower speed, then add in caster sugar. Gradually increase the speed from medium to high until a meringue of medium peak is formed.
3. Fold 1/3 of meringue into the honey-egg yolks mixture, fold to combine and then pour the the mixture back into the meringue, fold gently to incorporate.
4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until cooked.
5. Once cooked, keep aside to cool.
TO MAKE HONEY BAVARIAN CREAM
100 ml milk
50 gram + 100 gram heavy cream
50 gram white clover honey
2 egg yolks
5 gram gelatine
3 tbsp water
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm together honey, milk and 50 gram of heavy cream until dissolved.
2. Keep stirring until the mixture is lightly warm, then pour into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and stir over medium heat.
3. Dissolve gelatine with 3 tbsp water, warm in microwave until dissolve. Then mix the melted gelatine into the egg yolks mixture.
4. Keep whisking until the mixture starts to thicken, the mixture should be able to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
5. When the mixture has cooled almost to room temperature, whip the 100 gram heavy cream to medium stiffness and fold it into the custard. Immediately transfer the Bavarian cream into a pipping bag to be assembled later.
TO MAKE ALMOND AND CASHEWS FLORENTINE
100 gram almonds
50 gram cashewnuts, chopped
25 gram Florentine powder
small baking tray lined with parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix together all ingredients until combine.
3. Spread evenly on a parchment paper lined tray. Bake for 20 minutes until golden, keep cool.
honey Bavarian cream
almonds cashews florentine, lightly pounded to crush
200 gram of ready to use unsweetened red date paste
16 cm x 16 cm x 8 cm cake tin with removable base
1. Halve the honey joconde, use a sharp serrated knife to trim off the crust.
2. Use the base of the cake tin as a guide to cut out two sponges that measure 16 cm x 16 cm and two other that measures 16 cm x 8 cm. The former two will be used as the base and top layer while the latter will be joined together to form the middle layer.
3. Place a 16 cm x 16 cm joconde as the base layer, spread with 50 gram of red date paste, then pipe generously with honey Bavarian cream. Place two pieces of 16 cm x 8 cm sponges over to form a 16 cm x 16 cm square sponge, spread with 50 gram of red date paste and then pipe with the honey Bavarian cream. Finally place the last piece of 16 cm x 16 cm joconde over and then spread with honey Bavarian cream, cover the cream with crushed florentine.
4. Keep the cake in chiller for at least 6 hours before serving.