Tortilla, pita, potato chips, or even papadoms – it’s fair to say that these delicious carb-filled slices are usually made tastier when paired their flavour-filled dip counterparts. A frequent centrepiece at parties and weekend movie nights, the right dip is quite important!
Cheesy, crunchy, spicy or tangy, it’s really up to you. The only thing you need is the right chip, a strong food processor, and an appetite for yummy treats.
Here are 5 fuss-free party chip dips that you can whip up in no time!
“Hold up,” you say, “isn’t this just Guacamole?”
Well, close enough! This dip is a smoother, tangier version of the classic dip, and its refreshing flavour cuts through the saltiness of your chip. With only four main ingredients, a quick blitz in your food processor, this dip is easy breezy lime squeezy.
2 large avocados, halved and pitted
½ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro (some stems are okay)
⅓ cup lime juice (from about 2 ½ limes)
1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons water, more as needed to thin
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Using a spoon, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a food processor or blender. Add the cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño, water, and salt.
- Process, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary, until the sauce is smooth and creamy. (If the mixture refuses to blend, add additional water in 1-tablespoon increments, as necessary.)
- If you would like a thinner, more drizzly sauce, add water in 1-tablespoon increments until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste, and add more salt if it’s not quite flavorful enough.
- Transfer the avocado sauce to a small serving bowl. This sauce keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for about 4 days.
Who said dips had to be savoury? Your house, your rules! How does a s’mores dip sound? Absolutely heavenly? We think so too.
Chocolatey, fluffy, and fruity, this dip takes inspiration from the classic campfire dessert and is perfect for a sweet little treat.
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
Graham crackers, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-low. Tear off two 12-inch squares of foil.
- Layer marshmallows, chocolate chips, then strawberries in an even layer about 4 inches wide in the center of one piece of foil. Place the second sheet of foil on top and fold sides over 4 times to seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, 4 minutes. Immediately cut open and serve with graham crackers for dipping.
Fresh Salsa Dip
For those that like a bit of a bite in your dip, and are not fans of the smooth and creamy versions – this fresh salsa dip is for you. Put your food processor away for this one, and prepare to chop, slice and dice away!
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
1 cucumber, diced 1/2 red onion, diced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, vinegar, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the dippers.
Warm Cheese Dip
How could we miss our cheese? There has never been a better couple than cheese and chips, we promise. This melty cheese dip recipe hits all the right spots and has corn kernels in it for a special twist.
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. frozen corn, thawed
3/4 c. Spicy Chipotle Ranch
1 c. shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- In a medium bowl with mixer on medium, beat cream cheese, corn, Spicy Chipotle Ranch and 1/2 cup Mexican-blend cheese.
- Transfer to a 2-cup ovenproof baking dish and top with 1/2 cup Mexican-blend cheese. Bake at 375°F 10 minutes or until bubbling.
- Serve with chips. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Dip
Leaving the best for the last. Here’s a dessert, dip, and treat all in one.
Perfect for just about every occasion, this creamy dip surprises with peanut butter chunks, and is best enjoyed with wafer slices, graham biscuits or even potato chips if you’re feeling wild!
8 oz cream cheese – softened
1/2 cup butter – softened, 1 stick
1/4 cup brown sugar – packed
1/2-3/4 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Reese’s peanut butter cups – chopped
- To a large mixing bowl, add the butter and cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer (or stand mixer if you have one) until smooth and combined.
- Beat in brown sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in chopped peanut butter cups.
- Dip can be served right away or kept in the refrigerator. If the dip has been chilled, let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving to allow it to soften.