Image courtesy of Biggerbolderbaking
All you need is your trusty hands, a mug, and some simple ingredients you’ve probably already got in your kitchen.
These three simple microwaveable recipes are perfect for that lazy Netflix-and-chill date night or some quick nibbles at teatime. Whether you like your cake eggless or your doughnut in a mug, there’s an option for everyone! Plus, our Muslim friends could use these mug-cake recipes as inspiration for some quick-fire pre-dawn sahur meals!
Nutella and Peanut Butter Cake
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp + ½ tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cooking oil/melted butter
- 1 tbsp chocolate Nutella
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Place all the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and baking powder – in a large microwave-safe mug and whisk well.
- Add the cooking oil (avoid flavoured oil) and milk and mix lightly till evenly combined.
- Add Nutella and peanut butter into your batter mixing evenly to avoid clumps.
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on high power).
Eggless Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¾ tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp all-purpose/cake flour
- ¾ tbsp baking powder
- Small pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Place butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe mug and heat in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Add sugar and milk to the bowl, stirring the mixture lightly.
- Gradually add sifted flour and baking powder and use a fork to mix well.
- Place bowl in microwave and cook for 1 minute on high power.
- Garnish generously with maple syrup and fruits of your choice!
Raspberry Jam Mugnut (Mug-Doughnut)
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose/cake flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp fine sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- Extra cinnamon sugar, sliced raspberries and mint leaves to garnish
- Place butter in a microwave-safe mug and heat in microwave until melted, approximately 10-20 seconds.
- Gradually add in sugar, milk, flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix lightly till combined.
- Once batter is mixed, make a hole in the centre of the batter and scoop a spoonful of strawberry jam into it.
- Microwave on high power for 45 seconds until the top is firm.
- Garnish generously with cinnamon sugar while your mugnut is still warm
- Add sliced raspberries and finely chopped mint leaves and you’re ready to serve.